Monday, December 3, 2012

Stroke, Stroke, Flip Turn, Choke.

And so this is what recovery feels like...


My locker at work is finally
getting some use!
In my last post I spoke too soon. Since Philly my IT band at the side of my knee (on my non surgical leg) has been lighting up like a Christmas tree every time I run over 1.5mi or so. I'll take this little flair up as a message to get off my feet and back into the pool and weight room - a little (or a lot) of recovery could definitely do the body good anyhow.

Over the past couple weeks without a triathlon to train for in the near future I've really been putting off swimming - always coming up with an excuse: well Chicago or Philly is coming up so I should be running...or just complaining that it's cold out...either way, getting back in the pool was not as much fun as I would have hoped. I had decided to take atleast a solid 2 weeks off from running - after all, it has been a long season - but after a bit of tenderness during an easy 2 miler this weekend I think I may extend it another week or so to be safe. I am currently focusing on getting back into a bit of strength training and some swimming for recovery. Through the end of September I was averaging 4-5K in the pool per week (not that that's a lot, because it not - swim team members easy finish that in a single practice) but since then I can probably count the number of times I've put on the ole one peice on a single hand. Eeek!


Bob hard at work at the pool.
Which brings us to last Tuesday's pool "workout" (I shouldn't even call this a workout...and no warm-up needed since it was all basically at a warm-up pace): 5x200 with focus on technique, a little stroke counting, and a lot of choking/drinking the pool water. I can blame it all on Bob (he runs the pool at MU and has helped me a ton with my stoke over the past year - thanks Bob!) for making me flip turn during workouts...but on the other hand once we transitioned to open water this summer it was amazing how much easier open swiming felt! I didn't think my lungs were about to burst every 17 strokes. For anyone interested in triathlon training, I highly suggest learning to flip turn! I've heard folks argue that you will never once flip turn during a triathlon so "why learn?" But after a little practice with flip turns this past year I totally disagree (and so does any legit swimmer that I've asked) for these few reasons:

Where the sinking...I mean swimming...occurs.
1. Flip turning allows you to keep swimming without stopping/"breaking" which also cuts down those extra breaths usually taken at the turn around.
2. I also believe it teaches your body to become more efficient at using O2 while swimming (similar to training at altitude aka "hypoxic training" - see the exercise physiology side of me does come out sometimes) which is definitely important since we aren't exactly free to breathe as we would running or biking....thus making open water swimming feel that much easier when it comes time to race.
3. If I'm going to do timed sets or sprints I really do tend to finish a few seconds faster and am able to maintain a better rhythm.

I'm sure any more experienced swimmer could pack in a few more reasons, but those are my main few to justify flip turning on the regular. With a little practice and patience, I suggest every triathlete should develop flip turns as part of their swimming skill set.

On the recovery/theraputic side of things, when I swim my body feels great. Simply floating for 10min used to be part of my therapy post-hip surgery in NC. I'm guessing decompression due to the joints being supported by the water (rather than bearing the weight of the body) helps to decrease amount of pain and stiffness in my hips and SI joint area.


While I continue to recover and rebuild, let's all keep our fingers crossed that I'll be up and running (just a little bit) in no time! And sidenote, I'll be helping out at the Big Chill 5K at Rutgers this coming weekend - if you'd like to race registration is an unwrapped toy for a child ages 3-14 worth $10 or more. Cya there!!!


Heal me, LORD, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved,
for you are the one I praise. 
Jeremiah 17:14

2 comments:

  1. coming from the person who tells everyone to not push themself to much when they are hurt, looks like its time for you to follow your own advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries Shane, I'm in my 3rd week of no running! Uck! And I'm doing treatment every day along with ice/ice bath :)

    ReplyDelete