Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thankful for 2012. The Recap.


May 2011 - 1 week post surg
Sorry, could't get the pic to rotate!
What a year 2012 has been and for this I am incredibly thankful!!  After taking all of 2011 off from racing...and basically running...for my hip surgery,  I couldn't have asked for a better 2012 season.  I had the opportunity to train hard, race hard, and meet some really awesome people along the way.  It's still hard to imagine that at this time last year, I was struggling to finish a 2 mile jog and couldn't get away from the hip and SI joint pain that would creep up with every step.  After plenty of strength training, stretching and foam rolling, and many chest deep ice baths, I was finally ready to push it starting in about April.  Even though I was still only running about 10-12ish  miles per week, I was also getting in the pool 2-3x per week and hitting up a challenging spin class at The Peddler bike shop in Long Branch 2 nights/week.  (Btw if you have your own bike and trainer, I highly recommend stopping in on Tues & Thurs nights starting early into the new year - only 10$/session.  The guys there are some pretty cool dudes as well-they taught me a lot about taking care of and assembling my bike and were never sales-pushy.)  The class helped me to become a more efficient cyclist by teaching me to pull through the full circle of the cycling motion (yes, I was a pedal masher), increasing my cadence, helping to develop power, and increasing my VO2Max.  Since sprinting or hard run intervals were still pretty painful and out of the question in Jan-March, I attribute my ability to run fast(er) and recover during the early part of the year to those classes.  You can bet I'll be back and ready to do some work this coming January.

So after hearing a light background, this was my 2012 race line-up: (**indicates 1st attempt at race distance)

 
Long Branch Half Marathon** (5/6)  Since this was my 1st race post surgery, you could imagine how excited I was going into it - and it was my 1st shot at13.1 so my goals were pretty simple a) finish without walking and b) try to finish in under 2 hours.  I had debated using the 1:50 pace group, but after the 2nd mile one of the other females in the group and I started talking and we broke away from the pack.  Katherine and I ended up "hanging out" during the race and she coached me through some little things that a 1st timer might not think of.  We ended up blasting through the last 3 miles at a 7:30min/mi pace.  Everything about the race was awesome.  We finished in 1:43:21and it was faster than I ever would have considered I'd be running.    (Side note: She ran this just a few short months after having a child. Absolutely amazing woman.)  Shortly after finishing we both said "I think I can definitely run faster."  Ah, how quickly an accomplishment turns into a platform from which we want to progress. 

Post race lunch at Pleasant City!!
Kings Mountain "Over the Mountain" Olympic Triathlon (5/19)  Two weeks later I was in NC to visit my old roommate and training/racing partner from grad school, Terra.  2 years prior she convinced me to tackle this race and it surely lived up to it's name.  AND they changed the run course this year to make it HILLIER. Crazy folks, what were they thinking?!  But we had great race weather and were surrounded by many friends & Terra's family :)  To give a little info on Terra: she is a phenominal swimmer (swam Olympic trials back in 2008), recently finished her masters in psychology, moved back to northern Cali with her family, and finished her 1st ever marathon a few weeks ago!


Folsom Long Course (Half Iron) Triathlon** (8/18)  After NC, I had plenty of time to prep for this inaugural race which was held in Cali about an hour or 2 from Terra's home.  I had convinced her to sign up with me, and she also got a friend and fellow swimmer Tess to join.  Race day we were incredibly lucky with the weather - overcast for the majority of he race...and I'll take that on any day that would be projected to hit 96.  Technically, there are a few things I would suggest changing from a safety standpoint, but overall an okay race. A beautiful & cool lake swim, country (decievingly hilly) 2 loop bike course, and a rolling 2 loop run on bike trails (that they left open to random cyclists/runners - no bueno).  Of course Terra & Tess were #1&2 out of the water and Tess wound up running the table to win our age group. She is an animal (and currently studying for her masters in nutrition in Colorado - I hope to have her write a nutrition piece for my blog one of these weeks since we could all use the info).  While I pulled out decent times in the swim and bike, I crashed hard during the run.  2 miles in, full leg cramps in both legs brought me to a seated position for about 5 minutes - Tess was right begind me and got to watch me go down like I got shot.  While it may not have been pretty, I did a walk/jog "tin man" to make it to the finish in 6:16:47.  I'm not sure if I had ever been happier to cross a finish line than that afternoon.
  

Myself, Terra, & Tess getting ready for the long course.
 
One good reason NOT to wear heels!
"One More Tri" Sprint Triathlon to benefit Special Olympics of NJ (9/23)  This was another inaugural race, and while I was hoping to sign up for a Long Branch Tri Series race through Split Second Racing, that happened to be the only one nearby that I could make work time-wise. 400m swim, 12mi bike, & 3mi run.  This was a really fun race (plus it was flat and fast, but the run course may have been a bit short) and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to dabble in triathlons. It also supports a great cause, The Special Olympics of NJ, so you can't go wrong with that.








Bank Of America Chicago Marathon** (10/7)  While a few years ago I thought folks who ran marathons were all nuts, last Christmas over lunch, I found myself being enticed into running Chicago with a long time friend from high school, Nicole.  She is currently living in the city while working on her masters.  For a 1st time marathoner, this is a great race choice.  The course is pretty flat and well organized.  The best part of the race though was the many supporters and volunteers along the course - they were super encouraging and made the athmosphere was electric.  We even had a great time checking out all that there was to offer at the expo.  I will definitely be marathoning (or maybe an ultra) in the future. 

 

Niki found the best shirt on the rack!


















Runner's World Bethlehem 10K (10/21)  2 Weeks following Chicago, Cait, a best friend that I played basketball with in college, and I ran the Runner's World 10K in our old stomping grounds in Bethlehem, PA.  This was her 1st ever race and, like I've said before, I think she's hooked. :)  Next year we are shooting for the half (and we will be ready to take on the hills)!!
 

Kels rocking an official time of 1:42:10.













Philadelphia Half Marathon (11/18) Last but not least, my younger sister Angie and I raced Philly this past weekend - also her 1st road race.  To be blunt, since Chicago I had really poo'd the bed with regard to training/nutrition/weight management/etc.  At about 6-7lbs heavy and sick with sinus and chest congestion I was debating how hard I would run Philly and was leaning toward taking it easy.  My sweatheart of a boyfriend proceeded to give me the kick in the pants that I needed when he said "I didn't come all the way to Philly to watch you jog around on the road and not try."  That settled that.  Also, luckily I had brought along my Instead Softcup since I was passing along a few to my Mom to try, because it sure came in handy Sunday morning.  As for the race, Ang finished at 1:59 a minute under her goal...and didn't walk!...and her knees are still in tact!  Booyah! She is down for another run next year and maybe a tough mudder :)  I was lined up in a different corral for the start and by chance met up with Katherine, whom I had randomly ran with during the Long Branch Half.  She was shooting for a 1:40 PR, so I thought "what the heck, why not try."  We went out hard - or as hard as we could with how tight the first 3 miles were - this is where a few agility drills could come in handy.  It came back to bite during those dang hills (yes, mile 7 was one long hill and I cursed my way up it with each step).  I remember hitting the last turn around, my legs were slowly rejecting the thought that I wanted to move them faster, and I finally took my head out of my butt to look around and enjoy the scenery - I was running along the river by the boathouses where my family had watched my brother row (crew) a few years back.  If you've never been there for a regatta, boat house row is a pretty cool place to check out.  While I'm glad I ran hard, I also wish I had opened my eyes to take in more of the city.  Katherine crossed the line in 1:39 and I take my hat off to her, she was really moving.  I followed with 1:42:20 - a PR by just over a minute. Not too shabby.



Obviously I have many things to be thankful for: great family and friends, health, the ability to travel, train, and race..and everything else in between.  But enough about the past, over the course of the next week I will be evaluating my training and preparing to push harder and smarter for 2013.  It's been real 2012, but on to the next season.










 
And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
Colossians 3:17

No comments:

Post a Comment