Friday, December 28, 2012

Light Reading for a Snowy Christmas Holiday

I hope all had a safe and Merry Christmas!  I was lucky enough to have been able to spend a few days of the holiday back in PA with my family, during which I got in a little visiting folks and working out and a lot of reading.

 
Seriously, if you've got a little extra time over the holiday and want a great running read, pick up Once A Runner by John L. Parker JR. (Props to MU Head Track and Field/Cross Country Coach - Coach Joe for the recommendation) I read this cover to cover on Dec. 26...after my younger sister, who had promised to run with me, ditched me when we walked out and saw the streets covered with about 2-3 inches of snow (but no worries, I snuck in my own quick mile and half that morning since I knew what was coming!).

The snow scene Angie & I walked out to on Dec 26.
Once A Runner is a fictional novel about competitive collegiate runner, Quenton Cassidy who has dreams of (and the opportunity and talent to) running a sub 4:00 mile. You experience the life of a man consumed/obsessed with training:"The Trial of Miles and the Miles of Trials" as it is repeatedly referred to.  Just as he is in peak shape for his last outdoor season and having just recently run a 4.00.01 mile during indoors, he is suspended from the track program and will not be allowed to run the university's home meet against John Walton (who is modeled after John Walker, the first man to run under 3:50 in the mile). His mentor through the process, character Denton (fictional Olympic champion runner that takes him through a 60 x 440 workout...yeah, tell me about it) helps train him away from the campus and disguises him as to sneak him in for the race.  The novel is amazing because it takes you second by second through the competitive runner's head during training and races, including the last race where he runs a 3:52.5 to hold off Walton during the final stretch.  The novel is emotional and almost heartbreaking at times as you witness the sacrifice and dedication from within the runner's own mind.  Like I have said, a must read for runners and probably the best running novel I have encountered thus far. 

Two quotes from the book that really stuck out to me were ...parentheses inserted by me for clarification: "But the runners (recreational) resembled them (competitive runners) only in the sense that a puma resembles a pussycat.  It is the difference between stretching lazily on the carpet and prowling the jungle for fresh red meat." ...hah I'm definitely the lazy stretcher on the carpet.  And I'm not sure why I love these aggressive animalistic quotes but I do.  And "Running to him was real; the way he did it the realest thing he knew.  It was all joy and woe. hard as a diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension.  But it also made him free."  I realised after the fact that this quote was also printed on the back of the book...funny how that works out.

Anyhow, following is the short list of running reads that Coach Joe had sent me in his preferred order with his own commentary:    (I have currently crossed #1 & #6 off of the list)
Our back porch.
  1. Once A Runner – John Parker (a cult classic)
  2. Best Efforts: Stories of Great Runners and Great Races – Kenny Moore(best running writer ever)
  3. Bowerman and the Men of Oregon – Kenny Moore (1st 200 pages  are painful but then it gets good)
  4. Pre – Tom Jordan
  5. The Four Minute Mile – Roger Bannister
  6. Born to Run – Chris McDougall
  7. Again to Carthage – John Parker
  8. Runners & Other Dreamers – Parker I think
  9. Running With the Buffaloes (about Colorado U. team) – Chris Lear
  10. Ultra Marathon Man – Dean Karnazes

If you have read any of these and want to offer an opinion - of have your own favorite running reads, please post!
 
Ang's instagram during movie #1 - She's on the right ;)
Needless to say, Ang did still want to hang out and we picked out a few movies from the local library.  Since we weren't running, I had to do something though - hence the stationary in front of the TV.  And if you can't guess that movie its Twilight, which was followed by the Hunger Games and Crazy,Stupid Love.  I mean really, who doesn't love a sappy movie marathon! 

Best way to watch movies!













Also, some really cool Christmas gifts from my family:  26.2 bead from my parents and a Tortoise & Hare bead from my sister Ang to represent us running the Philly Half together.  Both meaningful and clever! Love them!







Last, my brother made a bet with me over Thanksgiving that I could not single arm snatch 65lbs using a barbell (as compared to the smaller dumbbell) since it is "so heavy." Sarcasm.  A barbell weighs 45lbs and each green is a 10lb plate.  I called BS and wanted to put up the video for all to witness it. Oh, for those that underestimate!!  His only response to the video: "Ew."


 


Since I am finally back on my feet and running after a few weeks of rest and therapy, in my next post I will discuss a little bit about my IT Band treatment and exercises since it is a common running injury/annoyance that many struggle with at some point.  Hopefully it will be a little help to a few of you runners out there!  Have a Happy New Year and I'll see you in 2013!
   
 
And this commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother.
1 John 4:21

No comments:

Post a Comment