Sunday, December 16, 2012

Setting Goals - Why wait for New Years?

Big news! Ran 2 pain free miles this week :) Yesss! Slowly making my way back to running!

But while I've pretty much taken time off these past 4 weeks from training, I've had a lot of time to check out races in 2013 and to evaluate my training and goals.

Goals for 2013...or more like a checklist for whenever the time comes:

What my lunch should look like more often
  • Run a <6min mile (hopefully at the MU Outdoor Opener)
  • Half Marathon <1:40 (~7:38 pace)
  • Marathon <3:43 (~8:30 pace)
  • Average over 20mph on the bike during any tri distance....literally any on any course. Each year I get closer, but it hasn't happened yet.
  • Complete an olympic distance tri swim in <30:00
  • Run an ultra without dying - yes, a 50k counts!
  • Bike a century...maybe with a beer or lunch during...not necessarily a race.
  • Half iron distance tri <6:00:00 (This will be a huge challenge to complete at Woodstock or Timberman, but I'll see what I can do about it.)
  • Maintain a body weight of 135-140lbs.  At the LB Half last year I was 143, at Chicago I was 148 - the difference mostly due to enjoying my summer ice cream and adult beverages to the fullest.  As of today I am 149 so I've got a ways to go, but this one can certainly be acheived if I make better lifesyle & health conscious choices.
  • Drink more water (...which means less coffee - I currently drink a pot or more/day)
  • Volunteer for at least 5 races.
  • Convince my boyfriend to run a 5...or maybe even a 10K.
Dave & I at the tree in NYC
While I may not complete all during 2013, I can dang well try. Obviously some of these guys have asterisks assuming I stay healthy/etc., but I feel if I train smarter and more consistantly, I can eventually check off a couple of these! :)

Right now my 2013 line-up is taking shape.  The following includes races that I'm already registered* for or am highly considering to participate in:

March 23 - *Allstate Life Insurance Half Marathon in FlushingMeadows Park, NY
March - Monmouth University Open Mile in West Long Branch, NJ
May 4 - *Woodstock Triathlon Festival (Half Iron Distance) in Town of Bethel, NY
June 2 - Navesink or Swim (1.2 or 2.4mi swim) in Rumson, NJ
June 16 - Long Branch Tri #1 in Long Branch NJ
July 21 - New Jersey State Triathlon (Olympic Distance) in West Windsor, NJ
August 18 - *Timberman 70.3 in Gilford, NH
September 28 - Mountain Madness Ultra (50K) in Ringwood, NJ
October - Runner's World Half & Festival in Bethlehem, PA

Not a bad list at a glance, but you never know - much of this could change over the next few months.  If there's a race that I should check out, please let me know!


And to round this post out, I got to see a bunch of teammates from college tonight - first time in years for a few of them.  Great to see them all and too bad Cait couldn't join!!

He gives power to the faint,
and to him who has no might he increases strength.
Even youths shall faint and be weary,
and young men shall fall exhausted;
but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength;
they shall mount up with wings like eagles;
they shall run and not be weary;
they shall walk and not faint.
Isaiah 40:29-31

No comments:

Post a Comment