Sunday, February 17, 2013

And unto dust you shall return...

During this past week a lot has happened - the start of Lent, a trip to Vermont in the midst of a snowstorm, my longest run since November (7.3 miles yessssss!), Valentines Day full of flowers and sushi, a 50 degree Friday, and a plunge run by a friend supporting suicide prevention...all wonderful, wonderful things.  And if you've got a free moment and are looking for an awesome blogger to follow check out http://ontheheights.com/ - Diana is an extremely talented writer and runner (previously ran XC in college) and her blog is always an uplifting read!!!

During Lent, many repent, fast, or attempt to make a change during the 40 days (well 46 I think if you count the Sundays) leading up to Easter Sunday.  This is always a great time to asses your individual journey to become more involved with God and find ways to strengthen that relationship.  It's not simply a "New Year's Resolution" type event, but something much more meaningful than that.  During the past year, I'll have to admit, I've been wishy-washy at best about getting to Mass each weekend - so this is my main goal during this year's Lent and I'm hoping to maintain this long after Easter.  One of my grad school teachers at Gardner-Webb University explained the relationship very well: "How can you be nourished by eating only a few times per year.  You can't - it's impossible and you would die.  The same goes for your faith.  If you are rarely working to strengthen your faith and relationship with our Lord, then how strong with that relationship be.  Nearly non-existant."  By no means do I think that simply attending Church will make me a better person, but at the least it will put me in the right place to begin working on that relationship again.  I also plan to uphold the meatless Fridays tradition and skip the ice cream (with the exception of Sundays) which is NOT going to be fun, but there's nothing wrong with a little sacrifice.

Vermont was awesome. Cold, but awesome.  My boyfriend and I decided that this trip would serve as both our Christmas gift to each other and our Valentines getaway.  It just so happened we booked the trip for what was projected to potentially be a record setting snow weekend.  Thankfully, we rented a 4 wheel drive vehicle and the weather was more than cooperative as compared to what the weatherman was calling for :)  Great food...not to mention that I'm still probably sweating out maple syrup (don't judge)...and great snowboarding weather.  This was Dave's first attempt at snowboarding, without a lesson I may add, so we can all imagine how sore he was at the end of the day. We definitely plan on going again!



Beautiful florals from Dave.


Cycling booties from Ferris!
I find it interesting that there were such extremes this week regarding the weather.  Mild wind Wednesday morning made my 7 mile run most enjoyable.  And I'm incredibly thankful for the 50 degree Friday we had.  Not that I don't enjoy spinning at the Peddler, because I definitely do and am getting noticibly stronger with each week's sessions, but nothing compares to riding outside. I got out for a much needed and appreciated a 30 mile trip through Rumson and the Highlands.  I'm still can't believe how things have changed in some areas following Sandy.  Last but not least, Saturday morning's run along the ocean was in light snow flurries with crisp, fresh air. Such a great week for training outdoors.


Finally, this morning following Mass I joined Bob and many of the folks he got togther for a "Plunge" benefitting a suicide prevention organization.  My toes may still be frozen and I'm not sure if I ever fully recovered from this dip.  Dave decided this wasn't his cup of tea but was amused enough to record the event. (I think someone threw a little profanity in there, so I apologize for that in advance...but in their defense it was really, stinkin' cold.)  Next weekend, I'm 99% sure that there is a Polar Bear Plunge supporting the Special Olympics at Pier Village in Long Branch if anyone is interested.  I've had my fill of the freezing ocean, but may stop down to support everyone and enjoy a warm cup of coffee.


 
 
 
Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have,
for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.
Hebrews 13:16
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment